Friday, July 18, 2008

A Tribute to Dr. Mardge

I wanted to take some time and space to publicly acknowledge the impact Dr. Mardge Cohen and her colleagues have had on those, especially women and children, affected with HIV/AIDS in Rwanda.

On Sunday, we went to the children's support group run by a man named Bertin. Every week, these children get together. If I recall correctly, they began with 35 children and now they have over 250. My heart broke, for probably the 100th time on this trip, when I realized that almost every single one of these children was infected with HIV. But here they were, playing, having fun. It was so sad and so happy. They are so young and innocent, and yet they have to cope with this lifelong condition. Once again, life is not fair.

This is humbling to say, but I am deeply grateful for the time I spent with WE-ACTx because it helped me get over personal stigmatizations or fears I had about those infected with HIV. I saw those living with the disease functioning like myself. This is something I've always known to be true, but I am glad I saw and experienced it firsthand. I am impressed by the power of ARVs and the hope and resilience of human beings.

Every experience we had with WE-ACTx seemed to underline the positive impact this organization has had in peoples' lives. What is most amazing is that this organization came about because Rwandan women called for help to gain access to the ARVs that their rapists were receiving in jail. Mardge heard about this from an investigative journalist. Together they went to learn about the situation and one year later in 2004, Mardge and a few others opened a clinic staffed by 5 people. From there it has grown considerably. Now it employs 80 people and reaches hundreds more. I love the program's model.

I am so intrigued by her story. I began to ask her questions while we were at this children's gathering. I learned that she comes to Rwanda for three three-week periods throughout the year. I am glad to know that it is possible to maintain my life in the States and yet have this connection with this place so far away and still make an impact. However, I just don't know how I will make that difference, make that change. I would be happy if I go on to do half the good that Marge does.

When I asked if she ever imagined that her life would take her here, she told me no. She asked me what I was going to do and I, unexpectedly, began to cry. We stepped away from the group and I was able to express to her, finally, how much I admired her and the work she did. It is truly amazing to see the impact she has had.

I want to be Dr. Mardge when I grow up.

So I just wanted to publicly convey my admiration and appreciation for the work she does. Thank you, Dr. Mardge, for setting such a good example for the rest of us and serving as such an inspiration. Aies courage, as we say in French. Have Strength, have courage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute, Hannah, that was beautiful to read. Thank you for sharing this amazing woman with us! And do not doubt for a second that you, too, will bring more humanity and love to this world ~ you already do.