Friday, August 29, 2008

Ending one and beginning another

So I've been back in the States for a week. My trip already feels like ages ago. I am now an official resident of Chicago and orientation for AVODAH is well underway. It's good to be back in the States. This is where my life is. It's where most of my identities formed. It's great to be reunited with my family and friends here.

Of course, it was hard to leave Senegal. I have created a life for myself over there and going back seemed to confirm all that I started when I was there in 2006-2007. I know people and people know me. I have friends and family, special places, traditions and memories. I have a sense of belonging. I can live there. I can communicate. I can negotiate the transit system, travel throughout the country, get food, make purchases. I am proud of the life I've created for myself and now the question remains how will I continue to engage that life and that which I lead here. I am confident that Senegal is a place to which I will continue to return for the rest of my life. I have too many connections and relationships with people and the place. And that's what my friends and family told me there too, as I cried when saying goodbye, "Annah, you'll be back. We know you'll come back."

It was shocking to come back to the States. I'd forgotten how diverse our country really is. I bragged to my friends in Senegal that when I went home I'd finally be able to understand everything being said around me. But of course, as soon I arrived here I found myself surrounded by people chatting away in other languages. Everyone that greeted me in the airport spoke with an accent. In Senegal, almost everyone is black, but on the train and in the airport I saw people of every shade. I forget how diverse the US is, or rather, I suppose, I take it for granted. But coming home always reminds me what a melting pot we are truly are.

So my journey has come to an end. No more French and Wolof. No more rooftop and courtyard dance parties into the early morning hours. No more daily calls to prayer. No more ceeb_u jenn. No more daily encounters with my Senegalese friends and family. As I said last time I left, I hope to see them again sooner rather than later. I do think I'd like to live and work there some day. Maybe next year. Or maybe I'll get to visit en route to a Peace Corps assignment. Yallah rekk mo xaam. God only knows. Fortunately, technology has made the distance much shorter as I am able to keep in touch via phones and the internet. But now I am in Chicago and excited about it. I'm excited to pursue my interests and get involved in my new city. I can't wait to build my new community here.

I am extremely grateful for the opportunity I had to travel for the past 6 weeks. I was faced with many harsh realities and experienced countless inspiring moments. I am grateful to those who directly or indirectly taught me many new lessons. And I am grateful, as always, to all my friends and families in Senegal who welcomed me back with open arms. It's hard to know where to go from here ... how to contribute to the advancement of the incredible projects we saw in Rwanda and Uganda while maintaining my connection with and investment in Senegal, not to mention the movements that are important to me here in the States. I suppose only time will tell.

And so as one journey ends, I am fortunate enough to embark on the next. Here goes!

(Thank you to those of you that took the time to read my blog. It is an honor to be able to share these experiences with you. You can follow my year in Chicago at: www.oyitsvindy.blogspot.com)
(Read on for a final painting of Dakar.)

No comments: